This can apply in many areas, such as throwing punches, kicks, field sports, court sports, cycling, cleaning, clapping push ups and more.
WHAT is an explosive technique?
An explosive technique means delivering a sudden, quick, snapping motion or springlike motion attack then immediately retracting the attacking tool after the launch of an attack. Attacking tool can be a punch, kick, a stick or any tools used to deliver an attack.
The peak force of an effective and explosive technique is at the “Point Of Contact”, but the force of an ineffective punch BEGINS from the delivery and loses its power by the time the arm is fully extended.
WHY do you need explosive power in our punches & kicks?
- Explosive power saves you a lot of energy and time to get a job done.
- Explosive punches decreases stress and muscles tension while helping you to preserve strength to achieve efficiency.
- Explosive training increases training frequency, due to its relaxed and outburst of energy nature. You can do more punches and kicks without feeling tired easily, as training frequency is important for the registration of muscle memory, the development of strength, and building lean muscle.
HOW & WHEN will I be able to obtain skills to deliver an explosive technique?
- Like anything else, practice, practice and practice, but Practice with awareness. Aware about your entire body posture and movements. As high reps WILL NOT IMPROVE your explosivity.
- Always remember your goal is not to achieve exhaustion but explosiveness.
- Play Motivational Music while you are training.
- Relax your mind, and your body will automatically be loosen up. When your mind is relaxed, your muscles will be relaxed as well. Only then you are able to deliver a sudden outburst of energy, which we call Explosive power.
- Use imaginations together with your training to practice explosive techniques. Imagination such as, the time you use explosive energy to perform certain tasks. Tasks such as cleaning, performing a smash in Badminton, and jump scare a kid or someone behind a door. All these tasks shares the same attributes, put these experiences in your mind when you are practicing your punches or kicks.
USE OF GRAVITY AND ELASTIC ENERGY TO ACHIEVE EXPLOSIVITY
Human muscles are build with elasticity. You can stretch your muscles to some extent, then it will also restore to its original state. Muscles can perform at its peak when they are loosened, this is called elastic energy. This energy allows human beings to perform rapid movement and perform explosive techniques.
To build elasticity of the arms and spine, our body need to be fully relaxed, then only we can move our upper body like a spring. The elasticity in our upper body uses the strength coming from the lower body to generate speed and power.
Traditional martial artist have mentioned that, “Strength comes from the ground, transferred to the ankles, to the legs, and then being controlled by the hips.” Then from the waist, it transfers the energy to the upper parts of the body. This means that the waist functions as the central axis that connects the lower body with the upper body.
When the muscles, joint and ligaments are loosened, it will be stretched downward by gravity. At this point of time, the body weight shifts to the lower body and stores in the foot. The amount of energy stored at the foot increases by straightening movement and the bending of the knee. This explains why weightlifters push their feet to the floor to shift their power to the upper body when they lift a heavy barbell.
To learn more about elastic and explosive punches and kicks, PM us on our FB page:Urban Street Defense to attend our workshops or weekly classes.